KOTA KINABALU: The Federal government has never neglected the national-type Chinese schools especially in Sabah, said Minister in the Prime Minister’s Department Datuk Seri Dr Wee Ka Siong today.
Wee, in quashing the opposition’s claims that the government had not done anything for the development of vernacular schools, stressed that the government’s commitment on the matter remained intact.
“A grant of RM68 million had been allocated to Chinese schools within eight years which had helped solve problems including unsafe school buildings.
“This (allocation) is not only for the Chinese community but also education (opportunity) for everyone in the context of Chinese schools in Sabah,” he said, adding that the state government had also been providing allocations for such schools each year.
Wee, who is also MCA deputy president and Sabah MCA liaison chairman, said this during the special allocation cheque presentation for Chinese schools at SJKC Chung Hwa Likas near here.
Earlier, Sabah Special Task Minister Datuk Teo Chee Kang, who represented state Chief Minister Datuk Seri Musa Aman, presented RM6.565 million cheque from the Education Ministry to be distributed to 66 Chinese schools.
In Musa’s speech, read by Teo, he said that as a caring and responsible government, private schools in the state would also be taken care of as such schools also play a major role in the development of future knowledgeable human resources.
Also present at the event was Deputy Education Minister Datuk Chong Sin Woon.
On Jan 28, DAP secretary-general Lim Guan Eng had said, during mock cheques presentation for school representatives, that the Penang state government had disbursed allocations to Chinese schools before the Chinese New Year and implicated that the government had not done anything to assist the vernacular schools.-NST