PETALING JAYA, Sept 14 – One of the missing Malaysian Haj pilgrims in the aftermath of the Makkah crane collapse tragedy is alive and well but four have been confirmed dead while three others are unaccounted for.
Minister in the Prime Minister’s Department Datuk Seri Jamil Khir Baharom told a press conference here late tonight that Abdul Muluk Ishak, 71, from Pantai Remis, Perak was actually nowhere near the Grand Mosque when the tragedy happened but was at a hostel for Thai Haj pilgrims.
He also said besides Rusiah Suar, 56, from Sungkai, Perak who was confirmed as the first Malaysian Haj pilgrim killed in the tragedy, three more of the missing had also been confirmed dead, all from Kelantan.
They were Siti Nurolshlizan Zolkifli, 37, from Tanah Merah; Rohana Ismail, 54, from Kuala Krai; and Munah Jusoh, 73, from Cherang Ruku.
This leaves Abdul Habib Lahman, 68, from Sik, Kedah; Shahidan Saad, 52, (Kodiang, Kedah); and Zainun Taha, 69, (Ampang, Selangor) unaccounted for.
Jamil Khir said the bodies of the three Kelantanese Haj pilgrims were identified at 6 pm (Saudi Arabian time) via their pictures and personal effects at the mortuary they were taken to.
“Their relatives who were on the pilgrimage with them confirmed their identities,” he said.
As for Abdul Muluk, Jamil Khir said he had memory problems and had wandered off to the hostel housing Thai Haj pilgrims.
“The management of the hostel sent him to the local pilgrims management centre (Andalusia) and was subsequently brought to Tabung Haji’s headquarters in Makkah.
“We are very sad and sympathise with the families of the pilgrims who were killed in the tragedy and advise them to be patient and strong in facing this difficult time,” he said.
He said the bodies of the Malaysian victims had been placed at the Muaissem mortuary, located nearby Mina, Makkah.
Tabung Haji was working round-the-clock to locate the rest of the missing victims at all nearby hospitals and ensuring all identification processes were done speedily, he added. – Bernama